Wednesday, June 27, 2007

TWINS

Over the past few weeks I have had a fear that I am having twins. I guess "fear" is not really the word. Although I know it would be SO HARD, I am sure more than double or triple the stress of just having one baby, I wouldn't really be scared because I know I would be able to handle it. God doesn't give you more than you can handle right??? I guess it would just be very overwhelming to have 4 kids when you only planned on having 2. As a good friend told me the other day "there's a big difference in unplanned and unwanted." Of course if I were to have twins I could have adorable pictures like this one.

No, I don't know these babies except that their names are Brett and Gabriel and they are 3 weeks old. Aren't they adorable!!

Anyway, so people might be wondering WHY I have a feeling I am having twins. There is really only 2 reasons. First of all I just feel that my stomach is too big for only being about 15 weeks pregnant. I am bigger with this one than I was with Caleb at over 20 weeks. The other reason is I have already felt the baby several times - no it is not just gas. I didn't feel Caleb until 20 weeks. Maybe if there are 2 in there I would be more likely to feel one move. Who knows. The likelihood of me having twins is so low. I looked it up on the Internet. We all know that everything you read on the Internet is 100% FACT. I only have a 3% chance of having twins. Natural twins are fairly rare. However there are other factors that make your chance higher.

  • If you are over 45 your chances are 17%, over 50 there is a 1 in 9 chance - WOW
  • You take fertility drugs or undergo other fertility treatments. - DUH
  • You live in Massachusetts or Connecticut. These states were at least 25% higher than the national rate in the United States. how bizarre is that ??
  • You, your mother, or her mother's mother is a fraternal twin. - nope, my mom's an only child
  • You're Nigerian. This African country purportedly has the highest twinning rate in the world, estimated at 1 in 22. Some sources attribute it to their consumption of large quantities of yams. - I like yams.
  • You're overweight or tall. A 2005 study reported a significant increase in fraternal twin births to mothers who had a BMI of 30 or higher, or who were in the top 25th percentile for height.

Some of those were interesting facts. Well I bet there is only one in there. I will find out for sure on July 23rd when I have my ultrasound.


2 comments:

Heather said...

That would be SO exciting! Can't wait till the 23rd!

Judy E. said...

This is DeeDee's Mom....I initally was very scared when I saw the title of this article...."TWINS"?????