Tuesday, February 26, 2008

But Mom, it REALLY hurt!

Ok, so yesterday morning was pure chaos. Caleb normally rides the bus, but on days where it is really cold or we are running late I take him to school. Yesterday was a little of both. I decided to go ahead and take him to school since I had some packages to drop off at the shipping place anyway. I get us all loaded in the car and get halfway to school and realize I left the packages in the office. CRAP - now I have to go home and get out again cause I can't just wait until 1:00 when we head to gymnastics because the mail gets picked up at the shipping place around 11:00 and I HATE having to go to the post office. So I go home, get the packages, go to the shipping place and return home. I am home less than 5 minutes and the phone rings. It is Caleb's school. They said he thinks he got a paper cut on his eye. She said his eye is really red and stings and it is tearing up a lot. We think you need to take him somewhere to make sure he didn't damage his cornea. They might want to put a patch on it. WHAT?????

So I of course I tell them I will be right there. I go to put Cali back in her carseat and realize she had a blow out. I call Chris and quickly tell him what happened. I get him to call Todd Wright and see if he can get him in while I am dealing with Cali and getting us all back in the car. So while I am changing this nasty diaper I yell to Caden to bring me a ponytail holder for her hair. Her curly hair was in complete tangles since it had not been touched since 4:00 on Sunday afternoon. She still looks a little trashy, but that was the best I could do with no water bottle, mirror or hair pick. So I leave the house again for the THIRD TIME and it is only 9:30.

When I get to Caleb's school his eye is really red, only a little watery and he was only a little bit upset. He says it still stings a little. He tells me that he accidentally scratched his eye with a plastic mask. WHAT??? What is he doing with a plastic mask? He is in 3rd grade. Apparently they were doing something during art.

By the time I make the short 5-7 min drive to Dr Wright's office it looked so much better I could barely tell which eye it was. We wait around for about 15 or so minutes (since we didn't have an appt) and he seems COMPLETELY NORMAL. He starts to read a magazine, play with Cali, etc. I am thinking why are we here?? We go back there and the girl/lady gives him an eye exam. He can see everything he is suppose to and he didn't complain at all when she had to shine the light in his hurt eye. She leaves and while we are waiting for Todd to come in I keep thinking about all the things I need/want to be doing instead of wasting my time here. I say to Caleb " I think you just got poked in the eye so of course your eyes were watering. I think the ladies in your office were just being overly cautious." He says "mom it REALLY HURT." I say "of course it did, it never feels good to get poked in the eye."

When Todd comes in I tell him, "I am sorry I really don't know why we are here, I think he just got poked in the eye, since he seems completely normal now." He says ok, but lets have a look while we are here. He looks through his "machine" and says "DeeDee he really did scratch his eye, come look at this!" So I look in it and there is a white scratch going across. So now I feel bad. It is not a bad scratch, but a scratch nonetheless. He said it was only superficial and it will heal on his own. He put some kind of drop in it and just told him to be very careful of dust and dirt for the rest of the day and that the stinging should go away soon. So Caleb was able to go back to school and tell his friends that he had a "superficial corneal abrasion." This whole ordeal put a big kink in my morning plans, but I am glad I took him to the doctor anyway. I would have felt terrible if it would have been really serious and I didn't do anything.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi DeeDee,

I'm glad Caleb is okay. I had a corneal abrasion about a year ago. It was excruciating. I talked to an optometrist on the phone, and he said that even narcotics are not that effective on eye pain. (Isn't that weird?)

I ended up getting treatment the next day at some eye place in the mall.

Anonymous said...

DeeDee,

I forgot to write my name at the bottom of the post.

--Rena

Michelle said...

I'm tired after reading this :) I'm glad Caleb's eye is OK. David did that several years back Actually had a stick sticking out of his eye! Yuck!
I hope your Wed. is going better.