Tuesday, December 11, 2007

ONE in a MILLION

Ok, that is a little extreme. Actually we were 1 in half a million Oklahomans without power yesterday. We are/were in the worst power outage in Oklahoma history - every county was in a state of emergency. We lost power at our house about noon yesterday and Chris's work lost theirs soon after so he was able to come home too. We actually had a nice day of playing games inside and the kids LOVED playing out in the backyard stomping on the ice on the ground and knocking ice of toys etc with plastic bats.

Here are a few pictures I took yesterday of the ice in the backyard.




By about 5;00 pm it was getting too dark to see anything in the house. We decided to go to Chili's for dinner. As we were leaving the neighborhood I got my first glimpse of some of the house where their trees were split and huge amount of branches in their yard or driveway. It is always a little sad to me when I see that. It was so weird driving around and one mile block would be dark and then the next would have lights. It was really weird. I think most of Edmond was out for most of the day. When we got home last night we found several huge branches down in the front yard - SO SAD!!! I don't think they did any damage to the house though. We also still didn't have power. My sister in law was still in Texas visiting a friend but we found out she still had power at her apartment so we packed up some stuff by flashlight and candles and headed over there. We found out this morning that our power actually came back on at 9:00 pm last night so we could have stayed at the house. The thought of staying in a cold house was actually exciting to me, since I have been HOT all the time. But the rest of the family - those big sissies - wanted to sleep with a heater.

Here are a few pictures of the branches down in the front yard.



This is so sad to me, but yet I know we are not alone. This is what a lot of people are facing right now. However I am very happy and relieved that our power is back on. Last night the news said that they were bringing in 1000 "helpers" from about 4 different states to help out but that it could still take 7-10 days for all power to be restored. The thought of having a baby within 8 days and not being able to come to my own house with the baby was making me really upset. But all is well now, at least for us anyway. I am suppose to have a doctors appointment in about 2 hours. Lets hope the office will be open!

No comments: